Simply beautiful – the red cherry jam on snow-white shortbread is so festive! With classic flavors of cherry and almond and buttery melt-in-your mouth shortbread, this cookie is a winner! The formed cookies have to chill for one hour before baking, so plan ahead.
Cherry Almond Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup cherry preserves
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on high until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and almond extracts and beat on medium until combined.
- Turn the mixer off. Combine the flour and cornstarch and add to the mixer bowl. Mix on low, scraping down bowl as needed, until a soft dough is formed.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough onto prepared baking sheets using a #40 cookie scoop (0.7 ounces of dough per cookie). Gently make an indentation in the top of each cookie using your thumb. Fill the space with ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cherry preserves. Chill the unbaked cookies for one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325° convection. Bake for about 13 minutes, until very lightly browned around the edges. Do not overbake.