A simple chocolate shortbread tart crust that is sure to become one of your favorites. No rolling or chilling needed – no need for the mixer or food processor. Just stir ingredients together, press in the pan, and bake.
Chocolate Shortbread Tart Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° convection.
- Whisk flour sugar, cocoa powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter and stir in the vanilla extract. Add to the dry ingredients and stir together to mix well.
- Press the dough evenly along the bottom and sides of a 9” tart pan with removable bottom.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet to catch butter drips. Bake about 18-20 minutes. The dough should look dry and will go from glossy to matte when ready. Let cool thoroughly before filling.
- The tart crust can be baked up to two days ahead.