A chunky plum sauce that goes together in 15 minutes. Use any kind of plums you like. Substitute water or juice for the wine to make it non-alcoholic. Spoon this delicious compote over Polenta Biscuits, add a dollop of cardamom scented whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream for the perfect summer dessert.
Plum Compote with Red Wine
- 1½ pounds fresh plums (any kind of plums you like)
- 2-4 tablespoons red or rosé wine (amount depends on juiciness of plums)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cardamom seeds
- Orange zest to taste
- Wash the plums, remove pits, and cut into quarters for smaller plums and eighths for larger plums. Set aside.
- Combine wine (or other liquid), sugar, and cardamom seeds in a saucepan. If the plums seem juicy, start with 2 tablespoons of liquid, more if plums are hard. Bring to a boil.
- Add the plums. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes or until plums have started to soften and juices are slightly thickened. If you prefer a less chunky compote, cook the fruit a little longer. Not sweet enough? Add a bit more sugar.
- Stir in the orange zest. Cool before using.