Strawberries and rhubarb – a classic combination. The sweetness of the strawberries balances out the tartness of the rhubarb perfectly. There are so many ways to enjoy this compote – serve it over cake, pancakes, yogurt, or ice cream. It is particularly delicious and complementary to the Crostata di Ricotta. The compote can be served chunky or pureed into a delicious thick sauce.
Roasted Strawberry and Rhubarb Compote
- 3 cups strawberries (about 1 pound), hulled and cut into halves or quarters
- 3 cups rhubarb (about 1 pound), cut into ¾” pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350° convection.
- Mix all ingredients together and put into a non-reactive baking dish.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit has broken down and juices have thickened.
- Serve the compote slightly chunky or puree into a sauce.