You will fall in love with this refreshing, Zesty Shrimp and Corn Salad recipe! Fresh corn, peppers, tomatoes and avocados add color and texture. Just looking at the beautiful kaleidoscope of colorful ingredients will make your taste buds tingle! Tossed with sweet shrimp and a light lime dressing, the salad is bursting with flavor. I have kept the recipe simple (no cooking) by using small, cooked shrimp. Of course, medium or large fresh grilled or poached shrimp can be used if you prefer.
My newly discovered Tajin Classico Seasoning (see notes for more about Tajin), a drizzle of olive oil, a generous squeeze of lime juice, and you are ready to enjoy. Spoon over shredded cabbage (my preference) or crisp greens and top with crispy tortilla strips for the perfect summer salad. This versatile salad can be served as an appetizer with tortilla chips for scooping. Or make delicious, tasty tacos or lettuce wraps (pass the extra napkins)! This is the ideal recipe for you to customize – add some black beans, include different vegetables, grill the corn. No matter how you serve it, it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Zesty Shrimp and Corn Salad
- ½ pound small cooked shrimp (see note if using frozen small shrimp)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (see note if using regular tomatoes)
- ½ cup diced poblano pepper
- Corn kernels from 2 ears of corn
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 or 4 sliced green onions, white and light green only
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ of an avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons or more fresh lime juice
- Zest of 1 fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Tajin Classico Seasoning or to your taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Cabbage (I use Savoy cabbage), thinly sliced or other lettuce of your choice
- Tortilla Strips for garnishing salad (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except cabbage or lettuce and tortilla strips. Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, lime juice). Spoon over thinly sliced cabbage or lettuce of your choice.
- If using frozen baby shrimp, thaw according to package directions and drain well. It is best to place them on a couple of layers of paper towels to get as much moisture out of them as possible.
- Whole tomatoes are very juicy. If you use them, drain the juice before adding to the salad.
- Tajín Clásico Seasoning is made with a unique blend of 100% natural chili peppers, lime & sea salt. You can find it in the produce section of most grocery stores and on Amazon.
- I recommend Bib lettuce for making lettuce wraps.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 small cloves garlic
- ½ small serrano pepper (no seeds)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or Tajin Classico Seasoning
- ½ small, very ripe avocado (optional)
- You can mix this by hand or in a food processor, blender, or with an immersion (stick) blender.
- If mixing by hand, chop cilantro, garlic, and serrano very finely and mash avocado to a smooth paste.
- If you use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender, coarsely chop ingredients and blend everything together.